New Expert Witness Guide
Climate scientists play a crucial role in the developing field of climate litigation.
CSLDF, in collaboration with the Union of Concerned Scientists, published a new pocket guide, What to Expect When You’re an Expert Witness Part 2: Ways to Engage and How to Avoid Common Pitfalls to help scientists better understand the process of serving as an expert, the potential legal risks and how to mitigate them, and the right questions to ask to have a straightforward and fulfilling experience. It also explains ways experts can engage apart from being a testifying expert witness. This guide builds upon our first, introductory expert witness guide, “What to Expect When You’re an Expert Witness.”
This year, we have provided legal assistance to a number of researchers who have sought to share their expertise with state Attorneys General, climate litigators, and others in climate law.
Read our new expert witness guide here.
Upcoming AGU Events at Fall 2021 Meeting
We’re participating in the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, the world’s largest gathering of Earth and space scientists. Please join us for the following online events
between December 13–16, 2021:
- How Is Science Doing in Washington? The State of U.S. Science Policy One Year Into the Biden Administration and Where We Go From Here, Town Hall, Monday 13 Dec from 7:15-8:15pm CST, Convention Center – Room 388-390
- Climate Science in the Courtroom: The Risks and Rewards of Being an Expert Witness, Tuesday 14 Dec from 4:00-5:00pm CST, Great Hall – Stage 1, First Floor
- Safe Scientific Advocacy and the First Amendment, Thursday 16 Dec from 9:30am-10:30am CST, Great Hall – Stage 1, First Floor
- Climate Litigation-Relevant Research: Defining a Growing Field,Thursday 16 Dec from 7:15-8:15pm CST, Convention Center – Room 338-339
- One on One with an Attorney, Mon 13 Dec – Thu 16 Dec 8am-3pm CST, Room 237, Second Floor. Register for a free consultation here).
‘Tis the Season for Giving in the Name of Science!
For 10 years, CSLDF has provided pro bono legal assistance to over 200 scientists being threatened or silenced for doing their jobs.
The end of 2021 is fast approaching and we encourage you to make an online gift before December 31.
>> Subscribe to our mailing list and we’ll send this update right to your mailbox.